This is more like an experience than a game … Try it…
Proteus is a game about exploration and immersion in a dream-like island world where the soundtrack to your play is created by your surroundings. Presented and controlled like a classic first-person shooter, the primary means of interaction is simply your presence in the world. The procedurally generated islands are home to creatures natural and imagined, tranquil valleys and ruins with magical properties. Think Doom meets Brian Eno.
- Meditative play: the responsive world and lack of any text or hints distils an essence of curious, investigative play, and rewards patience and immersion.
- Dynamic soundtrack composed by award-winning musician David Kanaga follows the mood of the world and will appeal to fans of Boards of Canada, Brian Eno.
- A distinctive 2D-but-3D graphical style with wild shifting palettes that sits somewhere between 8-bit videogames and early 20th century modernist painting.
- Islands are uniquely generated every time, and although it’s theoretically possible to see everything in one playthrough, no-one ever does.
- Built-in “postcard” function encodes world data into each screenshot, allowing islands and discoveries to be saved and shared.
Publisher: Twisted Tree
Developer: Ed Key and David Kanaga
Genre: Adventure, Indie, Casual